Monday, July 02, 2007

accentuate the positive

I'm rarely moved to spontaneously write about a comic I've just read in a positive way, because what usually moves me to write about some comic on the spur of the moment is strong emotion, and a good comic has to be very good before it will move me to write about it, where some relatively minor bad thing can send me off on a rant.

But there's a lot of negativity in the feministicomicsblogospherahedron so I'm making an effort to temper my comments a bit, which means on the one hand I'm trying to save the rants for things that either really deserve them, or which I think I can be most entertaining about, and on the other means I am making an effort to find the positive, and to applaud the good things.

Case in point: I've seen a few criticisms of DC's somewhat frivolous covers for the upcoming Green Arrow/Black Canary wedding event. I've also seen criticisms of the criticisms (which seems to be the big growth area in fandom lately). I'd like to point out that (as far as I know) this is the first "event" from either Marvel or DC for longer than I care to remember that does not require the sacrifice of a likeable but not so popular hero to the god of crossovers.

Just for once they are going with "light romantic comedy" instead of "violent and nasty", and I think should be celebrated for this.

4 comments:

SallyP said...

Good heaven's yes. I LIKE light and romantic,and am becoming just a tad fed up wtih all the death and destruction. In other words, I'm glad we have a wedding instead of another funeral.

Anonymous said...

Thank you!

Granting that I'm not happy at all with the rather hamfisted way the proposal was set up, I am at least willing to give the wedding stories themselves a fair shake simply because I think the stories could be enjoyable.

LurkerWithout said...

What has happened to Black Canary's adopted ninja kid?

SallyP said...

I assume she's terrorizing the other toddlers at the local Gymboree.